Thursday, October 30, 2014

Delicious Tangy Lemon Tart

Lemon tart was one of the first cakes I baked when I first moved to Australia in 2007. My friend had introduced me to it, I can't remember ever having it in Germany before coming out here. But the first time I ate it I fell in love with this tangy smooth tart encased by a crunchy base.

I recently promised a colleague a cake as a thank you for a favour and as I had made the French Appletart for the office before we decided on a lemon tart instead. 
So last week I made this recipe and it turned out beautifully. It was delicious and tangy, smooth and crispy. And everybody loved it. I'll definitely be making this one again, it was summer on a plate! 
Tangy Lemon Tart
150g plain flour
40g icing sugar mixture
90g butter, chopped
1 egg, separated

For the filling
4 eggs
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
180ml lemon juice
165g caster sugar
125ml thickened cream

Process flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor until combined well. Add the egg yolk, keeping the egg white for the filling, and process until ingredients just start to come together. Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface until smooth; wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Grease a 24cm loose-based flan tin. Roll the pastry between two sheets of baking paper until large enough to line the prepared flan tin. Ease the pastry into the tin and press it into the side. Trim the edge, prick the base several times with a fork, then place the tin on an oven tray and freeze for 15 minutes. 
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to moderate (180°C/160°C fan-forced). Cover the pastry with baking paper and fill with dried beans or rice. Bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes or until browned lightly. Carefully shield the sides of the pastry with foil if over-browning.
Reduce the oven temperature to low (150°C/130°C fan-forced).
For the filling, whisk the eggs, egg white, rind, juice, sugar and cream in a medium bowl.
Pour the filling through a strainer into the pastry case, then bake in a slow oven for about 25 minutes or until just set; cool. Refrigerate until cold.
Dust with sifted icing sugar and serve with cream, if desired.


This post was originally published on my other blog Edge Of My Plate, but I thought, I'd also share it with you on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment