Thursday, November 21, 2013

From the other side of the world with scrumptious scones

Oh dear, I feel really bad. My last post was written months ago and maybe some of you thought I had lost interest, but no! I'm back! Over the last few months I have been busy sorting through my apartment and packing boxes to move to the other side of the world.


I arrived in Hobart, Tasmania (Australia) about a month ago and I'm settling in well. For those of you who don't know where Tassie is, I found a little map for you.


Most of my baking things are still packed up in boxes on a ship on their way to Australia, but some have already arrived by post.

Because Australia has different seasons to Germany I was hoping to arrive here and be greated by blue sky and sun, but no. Unfortunately not quite. Last Sunday however we had nice enough weather for me to make scones for an afternoon tea out on the patio. For that I had made scones. I love scones, there is something comforting about them, the way you slice them open and they are still warm and soft and fluffy and you spread jam and cream on it... It's just delicious!


I only received this recipe a few days before from my best friend down here who is a fantastic baker. She told me this recipe was foolproof, so far I can only agree!

High Tea Scones
4 cups of self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
300 ml cream
325 ml lemonade

Preheat oven to 250°C.
Mix flour and salt in a large bowl, mix with a knife.
Add the cream and mix again using a knife. Repeat the same with the lemoande, do not use a handmixer, but only "cut" the mixture with a knife.
The lemonade helps make the dough nice and fluffy and replaces the sugar.

Roll out dough to about 1.5-2 cm on a floured surface. Cut out scones using a scone cutter and place fairly close together on a tray that's lined with baking paper. Just fold the leftover dough and roll out again, a little thicker this time as they won't rise as much as the first ones.

Bake scones at 250°C for about 15 minutes. Serve warm with cream and jam.

Makes about 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment