Sunday, June 02, 2013

Chocolate Caramel Tartlettes with Salt Flakes

My birthday was over a month ago and as I've told you before I made a big birthday spread at the office. One of my colleagues wasn' there and when she looked through my photos she suggested I should make the chocolate caramel tartlettes again.


Since I hadn't baked anything this weekend, I thought it was a great idea, plus this particular colleague deserves a treat! Another reason for making these is that I did promise to post recipes of the things I made for my birthday.


The initial recipe came from Maike from The Culinary Trial, however I changed it a little bit:


Chocolate Caramel Tartlettes with Salt Flakes
Makes 12

Cases
100g flour
30g cocoa
1 pinch of salt
80g cold butter, cut into cubes
1 eg yolk
2 tbsp very coold water

Filling
100g toffee (store bought or make your own which is explained here)
100g dark chocolate
60ml cream
some fleur de sel or sea salt flakes to sprinkle on top

To make the pastry mix flour, cocoa, salt and butter. Add water and egg yolk. Knead the dough until it all comes together. Add some more water if its too dry or some more flour if it's too wet. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and cool in the fridge for at least half an hour.

Line a 12-hole muffin tin with silikon muffin cases. Preheat oven to 180°C, roll out dough and cut 12 circles (using a glass). Press dough into silikon cases and bake for 20 minutes.

Let the cases cool and carefully remove from the muffin cases.


To make the chocolate ganache chop chocolate and bring cream to the boil. Once the cream is boiling pour over chocolate and stir until smooth.

Spoon caramel into chocolate cases, spread chocolate ganache on top and sprinkle with some fleur de sel or sea salt flakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment